The Word: Joel 2: 15 – 16 (KJV)
15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly:
16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.
16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Think about it
UNDERSTANDING THE POWER OF FASTING
Still on Vision, Planning, Strategies, Goals, Timing
Let’s talk about fasting.
Fasting is abstinence from physical pleasures to seek God’s face with an expectation of spiritual reward. Fasting or the word fast is seen about 75 times in the scriptures
What fasting is not?
Fasting is not a way of manipulating God. Whatever request we have must still be God’s will if not there wont be answers. David killed Uriah and took the wife Bathsheba. They had a first baby, God was unhappy about what David did. So God struck the baby with sickness. (2 Samuel 12: 1 – 23). David fasted 7 days dry – No food, No water but God still took the child. You can’t arm twist God with fasting. You can change the mind of God on an issue in fasting but it must still be the will of God (what he is happy with) if not, there won’t be answers. Fasting is not giving God ultimatums rather fasting is humbling ourselves with the right motive so God can elevate us. Fasting shows to God that we are serious. Fasting proves to God that we are contrite and desperate. When God see’s our seriousness he is motivated to step in to our situation.
When should you fast?
1. When you want to take time to fellowship with God – Exodus 34: 28. Fasting is a sweet smelling sacrifice acceptable to God
2. When you need direction or clarity – Ezra 8: 21
3. When you are confused or don’t know what to do like Jehoshaphat – (2 Chronicles 20: 12)
4. When you need to break heavy yokes and burdens – Isaiah 58: 6. Fasting generates spiritual energy to break the yoke and limitation of Satan over our lives
5. When you need to destroy stubborn resistance – (Daniel and the prince of persia – Daniel 10: 13)
6. When you face an uphill task – Esther 4: 16,
7. When praying intercessory prayers on behalf of other – Nehemiah 1: 4 – 6,
8. When mercy is needed – Daniel 9: 3 – 21
9. When restoration is required – Joel 2: 12 -23
10. When you are looking to change God’s mind on an issue – 2 Chronicles 7: 14
11. When you need a new anointing in your life. You want to move in power – Matthew 4: 1-11
12. When healing from sickness is required – Isaiah 58: 8
13. When you need to activate a promise God made but which is pending – Daniel 9: 3 – 21
14. When you are beginning a project or venture – Nehemiah 1: 4 – 6,
15 When you want to just worship and minister to the Lord – Acts 13: 2.
Moses fasted, Elijah fasted, David fasted, Jesus fasted. It is not optional. Fasting does not kill especially when you understand how it works. Rather fasting carries a lot of benefits. The more sacrifice we give, the more power is generated by our fasting. Don’t seat around the TV, chat, chat chat, go for all sorts of pleasures. These things don’t allow adequate power to be generated during our fasting.
Fasting is not what makes us blessed. We are blessed and redeemed by the finished work of Jesus on the cross. However fasting humbles and positions us to be lifted by God. If we want our lives to gain momentum to the NEXT LEVEL, we will need to fast. On the ark of the covenant, there is a seat called the mercy seat….. How we need that mercy. We need to pray for mercy!
Fasting is an activator for the NEXT LEVEL
Our memory verse for January 2018
Habakkuk 2: 2
2 And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
Let’s take a few moment to learn our memory verse for this month by heart. It can be memorised in 2 lines:
Line 1: And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision,
Line 2: and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
Once you say it a few times it will stick.
Prayer focus: Our prayers for the next level project:
We will be praying today about re-dedication and commitment. We need to pray about evangelism, lost souls, new labourers in the vineyard. That his people shall be willing
Masterlife Workbook: The Church is embarking on weeks of discipleship workbook study: Masterlife now on the 2nd workbook: The Disciple’s personality