The Word: Isaiah 11: 1- 2(KJV)
1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: 2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
Think about it
INWARD AND OUTWARD PRESENCE
And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,……
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me;
One of the greatest revelation of the new birth is that the Holy Spirit now lives inside of me. Please think about this for a few minutes. There are 2 major ways the Holy Spirit can come upon a man:
1. He can come live inside of you –
(We call this the indwelling presence). Holy Spirit living within us to facilitate fellowship with the father.
2. He can rest or alight upon us. (He rubs himself, his power, grace and presence on us)
This is what happened when Moses was on the mountain 40days with the LORD. When he came down, people couldn’t look at his face because the glory had rubbed on him. The outward anointing or outward presence usually comes for a specific purpose. So God usually anoints a man for a specific assignment.
Let me explain this better:
1. The indwelling Spirit is for fellowship. He abides in you so that you can have communion 24/7 with the father. He moved his residence to inside your spirit. So if someone asked a born again Christian – What is the address of the Holy Spirit? The address of the Holy Spirit should be thesame as your address. He dwells inside your spirit. We just haven’t been conscious of this truth, neither have we been practising recognising his presence. The next time you wake up in the middle of the night with a nightmare, you should rebuke Satan in the name of Jesus and go back to peaceful sleep. Nightmare cannot be your experience because you carry the Holy Spirit. Can you imagine a demon chasing the Holy Spirit. How can you be afraid when the Holy Spirit is living inside of you? If you carry the helper, how can you be running away from demons or looking for help in the wrong place?
2. The outward presence or alighting / resting on presence is what we call the anointing. It is different from the indwelling presence. This anointing is the Holy Spirit rubbing on you just like you smear someone with olive oil for a particular purpose. Let me go deeper. Jesus always had the Holy Spirit living inside of him. In fact when Mary was pregnant, she was full of the Holy Spirit. She was pregnantly induced by the Holy Spirit. So Jesus always had the Holy Spirit. However when Jesus came to Jordan for water baptism, he received what you may refer to as the baptism of the Holy Spirit – The Spirit of God like a dove alighted and rested on him. So Jesus had not only the indwelling presence (for fellowship) but also the alighting presence / anointing for manifestation of the power of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:8, Acts 10:38)
Let me still go a bit deeper
The indwelling presence helps you to have a solid presence with the father. The indwelling presence is superior because your relationship with the father comes first. Anything after that is secondary. You can’t be chasing to be anointed when you don’t have the inward presence, if not you may destroy yourself with the anointing. The indwelling presence brings the fruit of the Holy Spirit that we see in Galatians 5: 22-23. However the outward presence or anointing brings the gifts of the Holy Spirit or the manifestation of the Holy Spirit. The indwelling presence is for relationship with the father, The outward presence is so you can be of help to people who need help around you. If you have the inward presence but not the outward presence, you will be a good christian but may not be able to help someone who seriously needs divine intervention. Let’s go back to our text today:
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
That text talks about the outward presence. Why is this important? God wants you take a step further from only an inward presence to someone who is anointed.
Guess what: God wants you to have both the inward presence and outward anointing…..
How can we cultivate or build both the inward and outward presence at thesame time?
– Be a worshipper. The Holy Spirit cannot resist an atmosphere of worship. That is where he loves to be. The father loves worshippers (John 4: 23 -24)
– Pray in the Holy Ghost alot. (When praying in tongues becomes a lifestyle, something you do for hours. After a while you break through a level spiritually, your life changes. Revelation, power, grace becomes your experience
I want both the indwelling and outward presence
Our memory verse for February 2018
John 3: 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Let’s take a few moment to learn our memory verse for this month by heart. It can be memorised in 2 lines:
Line 1: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
Line 2: Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Once you say it a few times it will stick.
Prayer focus: Our prayers for the next level project:
Let’s just bask in his presence, praying in tongues…..
Masterlife Workbook: The Church is embarking on weeks of discipleship workbook study: Masterlife now on the 2nd workbook: The Disciple’s personality