The Word: Hebrews 5: 8 (KJV)
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
Genesis 26: 5 (KJV)
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
Think about it
THE MASSIVENESS OF OBEDIENCE
We ‘ve been studying the 7 characteristics of living things: Respiration, Nutrition, Excretion, Sensitivity, Movement, Growth, Reproduction. The last few days we have been looking into the art of movement. We said movement represents action.. And action spiritually can be symbolic of obedience…. There are certain topics in the scriptures that are important. But you can still survive or even enter into heaven without them. For instance prosperity is important, a man will be frustrated on earth if not prosperous. But many poor Christians who are impoverished on earth will still make heaven. However certain subjects in the scriptures are super important. They are super important because failure under these topics is equivalent to hopelessness on earth and there is no guarantee of heaven. Obedience to God is one of these super important topics. Based on the importance of Divine obedience, we don’t talk about it enough.
Let’s look at some of this importance:
1. Obedience is very important to God. You could perhaps say that: (maybe not the right choice of word) God is obsessed about simple obedience. You will not go far with him without obedience. It’s a red line for him.
2. Jesus equalled loving him to obeying him – (John 14: 15, 21, 23). So don’t say you love him without obedience
3. You may affect other lives with the anointing and gifts of the Holy Spirit but you can’t live a life that pleases God without obedience
4. Prayer may sometimes have limitation. You can pray amiss. But obedience locates you right at the centre of God’s will.
5. Obedience will save you unnecessary warfare and petition prayers.
6. Obedience is the key to sustainable, long lasting, effortless prosperity
Job 36: 11 – 12
11 If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures. 12 But if they obey not, they shall perish by the sword, and they shall die without knowledge.
7. Obedience may sometimes not bring immediate rewards, but it’s the right thing to do and you will eventually be vindicated by God
8. Obedience attracts God’s backing and presence.
9. A believer is already special to God. Obedience makes you extra special.
Exodus 19: 5
5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
10. Your life can be simplified through simple obedience
11. Obedience brings confidence
12. No sustainable growth is possible without continuous obedience
Our memory verse for February
2 Peter 3: 18
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
Let’s take a few moment to learn our memory verse for this month by heart. It can be memorised in 3 lines:
Line 1: But Grow in grace,
Line 2: And in the knowledge of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ.
Line 3: To him be glory both now and for forever.
Once you say it a few times it will stick.
Prayer focus: Lord help me to always obey you. IJN.
On Grace: God’s lavish Grace – Terry Virgo
Masterlife Workbook: The Church is embarking on weeks of discipleship workbook study starting with the Masterlife: Disciple’s cross.